About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Possum Visit

 Good morning,

See our little possum friend?  She was scared around to the front of the yard when Elsa saw her in the driveway from the back fence and barked.   I went to investigate when the motion light on one side of the front porch came on.  I managed to get this picture through a clear section of our leaded glass front door.

Some people are afraid of possums, but they get a bad rap.  They are great for your garden.  They truly don't want to be bothered as they eat slugs that chow down on your flowers and ticks that could bother your pets. Fortunately, we haven't had problems with either, and are glad to see the possums (Opossum is also correct) in the yard.

 

While I was taking that first image through the front door, Kjell was capturing the video above on one of our security cameras using his phone to remotely operate the movement. 

 


And, I downloaded this from another security camera.  Look carefully at the bottom of the window on the left to see our two girls watching the critter on their front porch.  As soon as they barked, the possum waddled away.

It's amazing how many wild critters we have nearby considering we live in the city.

Fun stuff!

Lois

2 comments:

Marit Johanne said...

It is amazing to see wild animals in the garden!And for me possum is very exotic as we dont have them here.

Sherry said...

Have to tell you my possum story! One night, Bailey came running towards the house with something large and gray! I screamed at her and she dropped it. It ended up in a round "wad" on the ground. I thought it was a cat but the tail didn't have any hair on it. I also thought it was dead because it wasn't moving. I got a shovel and was going to throw it over the fence to deal with it in the morning. When I pushed a shovel under it, it moved. I called my neighbor and he came over, with difficulty, was able to get it on the shovel - it was heavy! He told me it was a possum. Since that night, over a year ago, there have been no possums that I've seen in my backyard! My "darling" Bailey has brought me baby birds, a rabbit, a dead mouse, and the possum.