About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Our Annual Journey to Stehlin's Meats

 Good morning,

Last week we made a journey to the East side of town for a doctor appointment.

This week we made a journey to the West side of town to purchase meats to make special Norwegian Christmas food. 

 I had called ahead and ordered special cuts of meat.  Stehlin's slaughters their own meat so we know it is fresh.  

We were disappointed we were there a day or two too early for the Christmas decorations!

So, I'll just have to share images I took a prior year when the decorations were in place:

The choices of fresh meats here are fantastic!

 Stehlin's is a family owned business in a neighborhood where we lived for eleven years while the kids were little.  Our kids went to school with Stehlin kids so a visit to the old stomping grounds is an added treat when we drive out there to shop for meat.

 Stehlin's processes their own meat so it is always fresh.

In addition to the pork belly, we purchased some ground pork that Kjell used to make another Norwegian Christmas treat, Medisterkaker (pork meat balls with Norwegian spices). 

The trip to Stehlins is always so much fun each year. 

The meat is fresh and good and the people are friendly and helpful.

As we left, I took a picture of the little Christmas tree near the front door.

 
Of course, the concrete piggy bench was dressed for the holidays, too.  :)
 
So, that's what we did yesterday!  Now for lots and lots of cooking and eating good food.
 
All the best,
Lois

1 comment:

Sherry said...

It's always good to shop at a small business. I get a lot of my meat from a farmer out in Lima, NY, about a half hour drive from my home. I sometimes buy a quarter of a cow and they will cut it the way I want, such as inch and a half steaks. And I get ham hocks with lots of meat left on them for my ham and bean soup. Hhmm. . . I'm getting hungry just thinking about this! It is grass fed stock which is more nutritional.