About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Flower Blanket - Putting Them All Together

Good morning,

This post is about design and assembly techniques to make a large size flower afghan blanket.   Early in the design process I group yarn colors together then make squares, squares, and more squares.  This is my own raised flower design.  The three dimensional design adds texture and warmth to the finished blanket.

In the image above I've laid out all of the 80 squares for the blanket on the bed to arrange them to crochet together.
I used a piece of yarn to "string" the squares in the order I want to put them together...
This way, I won't lose them, get them out of order, and they can be kept neatly until each square is ready to be added to the finished blanket.
Lots of squares!
 After they are all strung, I place the whole "pile" of strung squares into a large tote bag arranged with the squares to use first on the top.  They won't "get away" and will stay clean sitting on the floor next to me where I can grab the next square as I put them together.
 The first two are together.  :)
 Here's the finished blanket that will be included in this month's Needlework Update in a few days.  These are colors of the Caribbean:  turquoise water, white caps, sand, and brilliant colors of tropical flowers and birds.  Gorgeous colors together!

All the best,
Lois

6 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

wow! looks great!

Deere Driver said...

I love these blankets!

Anonymous said...

I admire your work.

Very creative and your colors you chose are nice.

Sherry said...

A masterpiece!

Tanya said...

Ooh! Pretty, pretty pretty! And great organization too!

Elaine said...

Lovely blanket! Clever way to keep those squares in order in a small space.