About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Monday, March 28, 2022

Reuben Sans Bread from Mama Evensen's Test Kitchen

 Good morning,

Mama Evensen's test kitchen came up with another winner this week.  Sometimes we just have to wing it!

Both Kjell and I are working on taking off a few pounds so I devised a way for us to have our Reubens anyway.  Well, sort of....

Above is a little sour kraut in a small casserole dish.  I made two of these.

I added a layer of deli sliced corned beef...

I added cheese (couldn't find swiss in the house so used provolone) and popped it into the oven for 20 minutes on 300 F.
...couldn't find any french or thousand island dressing in the house so whipped up some of my own...

When the casserole came out of the oven I added two tablespoons of my special sauce dressing and set it in a cool dish so that we could hold them on our laps and eat them in our recliners.  Retirement is good - we can eat wherever and whenever we want.  ;)

So there!  It was great and a real winner.  We both agreed we'll have this again.

What fun recipes are you devising at your home?

Lois

3 comments:

Rose said...

I bet Roger would like this.

I have in my crockpot a recipe a friend came up with. When she first told me she was going to make it, it did not sound good at all to me. So I told her the next time she made it to let me taste it. That was probably 25 yrs ago and I have been making it ever since. It is her version of Italian beef.

One chuck roast, I cut it in chunks and place in crockpot. Next I pour the can of tomato sauce over the meat. the tomato sauce is what made me think I would not like it. Next add a teaspoon of crushed red pepper, garlic powder to taste and several shakes of Italian seasoning. (I no longer use that much crushed red pepper)

Cook on low heat till tender, then shred. I always want crusty Italian bread with it.

Lois Evensen said...

Hi Rose,

That sounds wonderful! We love using our crock pot. As we've gotten older, we don't enjoy standing in the kitchen for long periods of time so the crock pot is an excellent way to prepare a yummy meal.

I'm going to try your recipe! Thank you!

Lois

gigi-hawaii said...

It's fun to wing it, isn't it? I have been known to improvise, too.