About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Crock Pot Ribs

Good morning,

Do you ever wake up in the morning and start to ponder what you'll make for dinner that evening?  It happens often here.  Ha!

Well, I knew I had a package of four country ribs and plenty of time, but didn't know exactly how I wanted to prepare them so I made up something new.  The crock pot was a good idea because I planned to spend part of my day re-potting plants and draining the fish pond, so I didn't want to spend much time in the kitchen during the afternoon.

I started loading the crock pot with a layer of carrots and onions all chopped into fork size pieces.  I added a bottle of beer, then the four large ribs arranged on top.  I put dabs (a technical cooking term according to my mother) of citrus jam and crushed garlic on top and added pepper. 
I wanted something "tomato-ey", so drizzled some catsup over the top.

I put the lid on the crock pot and set it on high for the first three hours, then down to low for the next four hours. An hour before serving, I removed the ribs to a flat corning ware dish and drizzled another bit of catsup over them.  I popped them into the oven for that last hour so the most recently added catsup glazed on the top.
The house smelled fabulous all day and the ribs were delicious.  I served them with the carrots and onion from the crock pot, steamed cauliflower and broccoli, applesauce, cottage cheese, and pickle.  I've been serving extra veggies instead of potatoes recently. 
For dessert we had banana bread that I made in my Mom's old Sunbeam Mixmaster.  Does anyone else remember when entire kitchens were harvest gold color?

The banana bread was delicious.  By the time I downloaded these pictures about 48 hours after I took them, the banana bread was gone so I missed taking a picture.  It was pretty.

All the best,

Lois

3 comments:

Lois said...

It all looks wonderfully delicious Lois! Thanks for your comment on my blog today. Missy sounds like a great addition to the family, especially for your grandson. I have raccoons in my yard too and my previous cats used to fight with them through the glass door of my patio and wake me up in the middle of the night! We also have coyotes here, but I haven't seen one in my neighborhood yet.

baili said...

Oh dear your dish is very inviting!!!

loved your heading photo ,it is lovely and serene!
you are so talented .
i specially ponder upon my cooking tasks on sundays as everyone at home wants his fav

Lady Jane said...

this whole meal looks yummy!!! hugs, lj