About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Sunday, June 13, 2021

Lavender in Bloom

 Good morning,

The Lavender in my Half Barrel Herb Garden is blooming.  I just love my little garden of thyme, sage, mint, parsley, and basil.  Everything in the garden is thriving.  It's so much fun to be able to come out and pick fresh herbs when we are cooking.

 I'm no longer able to do much gardening because my back keeps reminding me I'm no longer 30 years old.  This little garden gives me the satisfaction of growing beautiful, yummy plants that I used to grow on a much larger scale.

What are you growing today?

Lois

3 comments:

Olde Dame Holly said...

I was peeking in the photo, and I thought that you had either parsley or cilantro growing! Parsley, and more! How wonderful to have those fresh herbs right there. I love your barrel planter. Half-barrels have gone sky-high here. I don't know if there's a shortage or if they are just so popular, but they are up to $100 and more. So I will just admire yours!

Lois Evensen said...

Hi Holly,

Yes, your eyesight is very good. There are quite a few different herbs in the planter. Many of them have survived the winter and are growing well. I add a few more each year as space permits.

We have had that planter for ten or more years. I believe we bought it at Home Depot and it probably wasn't more than $40 back then. We bought it to go over a spot on the patio where there was once a tree. When the patio was poured 42 years ago, there was a square space left for that tree that has since been removed. The tree was getting extremely large and overhanging the parking area where it dropped acidic flowers that destroyed the finish on the cars. Sad, but it had to go, but happy that the space is now available for the half barrel garden. :)

Thanks for stopping by. I always enjoy hearing from you!
Lois

gigi-hawaii said...

Beautiful garden! I don't grow fresh herbs, mainly because I am used to cooking with dried herbs. LOL.