About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Friday, September 21, 2012

Ohio River Transportation Companies

Good morning,

I took these images from the car (My Honey was driving) as we drove back from the Cabana Restaurant where we had lunch yesterday (see yesterday's post).  That's the Ohio River up there, at North Bend, Ohio.
The Ohio River provided the first transportation to and from Cincinnati and continues to be an important transportation route today.
This is one of the storage sites for highway salt.  We had a mild winter last year so there is plenty still here.  Nice. 
Paralleling the river and the companies there are rail lines.

 
 Grain elevators.
 And, now, far beyond the bend in the river is the skyline of downtown Cincinnati.
 There is a great deal of construction in this area coming into downtown Cincinnati.  It wasn't a problem for us, but I imagine it slows things down during rush hour.
 We grow a good crop of orange barrels here every summer.
 And, so, a trip along the river and back into Cincinnati.

It's fun to be a tourist in your own home town. ;)

All the best,
 Lois

10 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

the crop of orange barrels made me laugh. :)

Rose said...

We have passed through and around Cincinnati for years...one of these days I would like to go and explore the surrounding area. I think I would like the country down there.

Ida said...

Interesting post. I have never seen a Highway salt pile before so that was rather interesting.

VP said...

That is a huge amount of salt!

River Glorious said...

what a large pile of salt!

grammie g said...

Hi Lois...We grow a good crop of those orange barrels too ...fun think is that they even grow right up until it snows ; }!!
Thanks for being our tour guide...I really enjoyed seeing the salt piles in your neck of the woods too....really though lovely country out there!!
I have to ask this...Was there any "Cabana boys" there ? ; }...I could really use one!!lol
Grace

Montanagirl said...

HaHa - crop of orange barrels! Funny!!

Gail said...

I like these.

My husband will rarely stop to let me take a picture.

Wish I had whatever was in those silos. No hay for winter here.

Jack said...

Aw, I was hoping you would show some of the barges on the river.

Marit Johanne said...

You said it is fun to be a tourist in your own home town, it is very fun for us to join you!! It is always interesting to see what you have been seeing on your "adventures".