About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

French Toast - Recipe and a New Way to Serve

Good morning,

I've been asked many times what I do with all the bread I make.  Usually I give some of each batch away and whatever we don't eat within a day goes to the birds.

Today, though, I've made French toast using my Rich Egg Bread Recipe.  I had made it yesterday in Italian bread pans this time.  Yesterday Catherine sliced the sister loaf to this one, placed the slices on a cookie sheet, covered them with garlic and cheese, then toasted them under the broiler.  She served it with her spinach lasagna.  Oh, YUM!  
 
My French Toast is the basic one we all used when we were kids:  scrambled eggs with a little milk, then soak the bread and brown on both sides in butter.
Here it is just out of the pan and on the way to the table.
I served it with some browned sausage links.  All pretty normal, huh?
Oops, I couldn't wait.  I covered mine with maple syrup and started cutting before I remembered to take the picture. Sorry about that.  I passed on the powdered sugar traditionally sprinkled on top.  I pretended I was being good and cutting calories by doing that.  Yeah, right.

OK, so what was the big deal about a post with French Toast?  I just wanted to share a different way to eat it.  Read on...
 This is My Honey's plate.  On his French Toast he sliced hard boiled eggs, then topped that with cod roe (cod caviar).  Cod roe is a breakfast staple in Norway where he was born.  It's pretty good stuff. 
 We get this at Jungle Jim's International Market, just North of Cincinnati.  Above you see the front of the tube;  below is the back of the tube.  Food in tubes is somewhat alien to us in the States, too;  tubes usually contain toothpaste or skin cream or....
 This is made in Norway, but is packaged for both English and Russian-speaking countries.

So, in case you want to try something different for breakfast, you might want to pick up a tube of Cod Roe.  ;)

Oh, and the sun on the dining room table in those pictures above is the result of the catalpa tree's absence.  It is quite lovely to have that morning sun now.

Enjoy!

Lois

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 comments:

Marit Johanne said...

Yummy! It was fun to read about the "exotic" cod roe/kaviar. And interesting that food in tubes are not common in US. To be honest I don't like cod kaviar, but most Norwegians do:)

Anonymous said...

Hey! you forgot the powdered sugar on your french toast!! Bob makes the best French Toast EVER!!! yummo! I love a big breakfast!! Yours looks mighty fine Ms Lois!!...debbie

Montanagirl said...

Looks like a great breakfast to me - not so sure about the Cod Roe though.

Sherry said...

This brought back long-ago-memmories! I used to like french toast as a child but seldom ever make it now.

Elaine said...

Your french toast and sausage looks yummy. I'll take it served with the maple syrup, please. The cod roe does not look good to me, but it's all a matter of what you grew up with.

Lois Evensen said...

Good morning,

Yes, this was a really good breakfast. It's fun how the foods My Honey grew up with are often very much the same as mine, but this one was a little different.

Thank you so much, everyone, for stopping by.

Very best,
Lois

Unknown said...

French toast with sausage on the side is one of my favorite breakfast. I try to be good and use the sugar free syrup, but sometimes a girl just has to let her taste buds be free.