About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Banana Chips and Walnuts Bread - Recipe

Good morning,

Here's a bread that is especially nice at breakfast, but that doesn't stop me from eating it at any time of the day. 
 
The recipe is below.

Enjoy,
Lois


Banana Chips and Walnuts Bread

Ingredients:

1 egg

2 T vegetable oil

2 t salt

2 T brown sugar

1/3 cup sour cream

3/4 cup warm water

1/3 cup dried banana chips

1/4 t ground ginger

1/8 t ground nutmeg

3 cups bread flour

2 rounded t dry yeast

1/3 cup walnut pieces

Directions:

Place all ingredients except walnuts in large capacity bread machine in order given. Set on dough cycle and turn on.

The first dough cycle on most machines is about 40 minutes. Watch the action to be sure a dough ball forms at least 1/3 way through the cycle. Add a little flour or water if necessary to get the correct consistency.

Add walnuts five minutes before end of cycle.

When first dough cycle finished, remove from machine and place in a greased bowl for first rise. Place the bowl in a warm place such as the oven with the light, but no heat turned on. If you place it out on the counter in a warm place, cover with a damp cloth.

This batch required about 1 hour for the first rise. Keep in mind that the temperature in your kitchen and the mood of the yeast can change the time required for the dough to rise.

After the first rise, punch down/knead gently the dough to remove excess bubbles.

If you are using crockery or glass pans/bowls for baking, set the empty bread pans in a warm place, too. I use my second oven with the light turned on.

If preheating pans, remove from oven.

For this batch, I am using metal pans to make four loaves and had enough dough left over for a small glass pan.

Allow to bread to rise once again; this batch took about 30 mins. for the second rise, then bake at 350 degrees F for 35 mins. Turn out to racks to cool immediately.

Click here for more of my bread recipes.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Banana chips. Your bread smells delicious. I can smell it from here. (we get the Cincy & Columbus winds) Perhaps I should invest in a bread maker. All these nice breads smell so good. My DIL makes bread all the time. Allll different kinds like you....hummmmmm....debbie

grammie g said...

Hi Lois...Your breads always made me want to get some yeast an get going but, then again I used to made it the way my Mom did with all the kneading and I change my mind quickly, besides I would eat to much!!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lois reading your bread recipes has me longing to get home and try some, but alas we will be on the road for at least another week and a half. You certainly have gotten back to your favorite things in your short time back and this recipe is one we will try...can almost smell it from Maine - really!

Diana said...

I also love banana chips Lois. What a clever idea! Love Di ♥

Elaine said...

Mmmm! Your bread always looks so delicious.

Lois Evensen said...

Good morning,

Yes, it is great to be home and baking bread again. This one is really good and you don't have to wait to have over ripe bananas in the house to have banana flavored bread for breakfast. ;)

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by.

Very best,
Lois

Val said...

Looks very yummy! I make cookies for our church every Wednesday night, and this weeks recipe is banana chocolate chip - I can't wait to actually taste some of them. Bananas are made for baking, in my opinion.

Thank you very much for stopping by my blog....hope to see you again soon! And don't worry, I'm a firm believer in crinolines, so that skirt, whichever one I make, will have plenty of poof!