About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Red and Blue Bread in a Pot - Recipe

Good morning,

This Red and Blue Bread in a Pot makes the perfect edible centerpiece for your Fourth of July celebration.

The flower pots I'm using here are made for baking;  the inside has a ceramic finish and there is no hole in the bottom of the pot.  I don't even remember how many years ago I bought them or where I got them.  I wish I had more of them because they are so much fun.  I will use them to make dirt pudding, too, but that will be another post.  ;)
This recipe and some of my other bread recipes require dry commercial yeast that I buy at Sams.  Two of these one pound vacuum bags come in each package and the cost is very reasonable compared to buying the little individual packets of yeast.  Since I make fresh bread every day while home, I use this up in a matter of a few weeks.
After you open the bag, pour the yeast into a jar that you can seal and keep it in the fridge until you use it all.

You may notice I am using a different bread machine for this recipe than in the previous recipes I have published.  I killed another Breadman and have gone back to my smaller West Bend that I have had for a long time.  It takes me about 5 years of constant use to kill a bread machine.   I have another new unopened Breadman in the basement;  I always keep one in spare because it is typical for me to kill them when making massive amounts of bread for special events.  I'm easy on cars, though.

Below is the recipe for the Red and Blue Bread.  You can make it as pink and blue bread for a baby shower, just red for Valentine's Day, green for St. Pat's Day, red with green candies for Christmas....  The possibilities abound.  :)

Enjoy!
Lois

-------------------------------------------------
Red and Blue Bread in a Pot
-------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

1 egg

2 T oil

1 T salt

2 T brown sugar

1/4 cup vanilla yogurt

1 C warm (not hot) water

1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice

4 C bread (or all purpose, but not self rising) flour

4 drops red food color

2 t dry yeast

1/3 cup dried blueberries (added in last 5 minutes of first mixing/kneading cycle)

Directions:

Place all ingredients in large capacity bread machine in order given. Set on dough cycle and turn on.

The first dough cycle on most machines is about 40 minutes.

Watch the action to be sure a dough ball forms at least 1/3 way through the cycle.

Add a little flour or water if necessary to get the correct consistency.

When first dough cycle finished, remove from machine and place in a greased bowl for first rise.

Place the bowl in a warm place such as the oven with the light, but no heat turned on.

If you place it out on the counter in a warm place, cover with a damp cloth.

This batch required about 1 hour for the first rise.

Keep in mind that the temperature in your kitchen and the mood of the yeast can change the time required for the dough to rise.

If you are using crockery or glass pans/bowls for baking, set the empty bread pans in a warm place, too.

I use my second oven with the light turned on.

If preheating pans, remove from oven.

Spray pans with vegetable oil.

After the first rise, punch down/knead gently the dough to remove excess bubbles.

Divide dough and place into baking containers.

When it is finished rising the second time, bake at 350 F for 35 mins for the smaller loaves.

If using 2 standard loaf pans, bake at 350 F for 45 mins.

Remove from oven, turn out to cooling racks immediately.


Allow the bread and the pots to cool, then put the bread back in the pots to serve.

If you don't let the bread cool outside the pots, the bread will get soggy.

Slice in circles to make sandwiches or to use as a base for open face sandwiches.

Click here for more of my bread recipes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6 comments:

Erin Wallace said...

I love these pot breads! They are so fun and I like that you put the flags in the top.

xo Erin

Deere Driver said...

I'm liking this!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lois, I wasn't sure whether to dsalute the bread or eat it...those little flags were too cute. WOW bread in a flowerpot did loook strange in the oven, but wonderful for a sandwich. Good thing you don't "kill" autos as fast as bread machines...that could get costly!

Wanda..... said...

That's funny Lois, You kill bread machines and you keep a spare!

I'm only on my second bread machine, I didn't kill the first, but an electrical surge did!

♥...Wanda

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

What gorgeous idea, Lois, bread in a pot! Must try this soon, very soon!!
Have a wonderful Wednesday. xx

Lois Evensen said...

Good morning,

Yes, this bread is fun. For the uninitiated it's fun to watch the face and see that, "What the ... is that?" look. ;)

Thank you so much for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your blogs.

Hugs,
Lois