About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Ice Basket and Watermelon Art

Good morning,

This table is part of the decorations prepared by the culinary staff aboard Majesty of the Seas for a private party held in the Viking Crown Lounge. 

I'm always in awe of these decorations that are made and displayed by the experts.  With the light behind this display the carved ice basket is beautifully illuminated. 

The watermelons at the sides of the table are beautifully carved, too. 
I've always thought how great it would be to be able to make such a display for a party at home....  Ha!  No talent for that! 

They are just so pretty, though, that I thought I would share them here.

Very best,
Lois

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 comments:

Wanda..... said...

All I can do in carving a watermelon is to carve out the center and refill it with cubed watermelon and blueberries for the 4th of July! :)

♥...Wanda

Anonymous said...

Yes! everything is so pretty. Must be nice to have talent like that. I wouldn't have the vision to do it. (vision as in thought process) Like the flowers too! ...debbie

Diana said...

The watermelons were amazing. I never thought that I would say this but they were "Beautiful"! I liked the one with the flowers best. And the ice sculpture was beautiful too.
Wouldn't it be fun to wake up to that display every morning in your home?!
Love Di ♥

Life Looms Large said...

Just the idea of an ice basket is incredibly refreshing on this hot, muggy, rainy day!!

The watermelons are amazing!! I couldn't even draw something like that, let alone carve it into fruit!

Happy travels!
Sue

PS: Glad to hear I'm not the only one whose kitchen is overrun with spices!

Tanya said...

Beautiful watermelons! I know someone who does vegetable carving and he showed me the special knife he uses and let me "chip" at a pumpkin once. Hmmm. I'll stick to patchwork. Sounds like you are having fun!

Lois Evensen said...

Good morning,

Yes, they are amazing. It's amazing how quickly the artists can make so many different designs. I'm with you, Wanda, I can scoop out a watermelon and use half to be the bowl for serving. I've been known to get REALLY fancy and cut a "handle" across the top. If that doesn't work, it becomes a "bowl" again.

Welcome Tanya. For those who haven't seen it, Tanya has a blog showing her beautiful quilts and sharing so much about life in Japan. Check it out here: http://tttl1998.blogspot.com/

Thanks for stopping by, everyone.

Happy Weekend,
Lois

stringsofpurls said...

That is the most amazing watermelon I have ever seen. I thought making zig zags on the edge and filling it with balls of melon was good. I was wrong.