About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Spring Green Hat - Crochet


Good morning,

My daughter and I have two friends who are sisters.  One of the sisters, Chris, is the person for whom I made a couple of hats last winter.  She said she liked them so I made one for her for Spring, too.

So, today, I'm featuring the pattern for the Spring Hat that I designed and made (see below.)  It is super simple to crochet and will be very comfy to wear in warmer weather because of the thread that is used.  By using the double strand cotton thread the hat has a nice body to it, while still offering plenty of ventilation.



Totally unrelated to the story of the Norwegian lady who gave me yarn that I wrote about earlier this week and unknown to either of the "gifters" who live on different continents, I have another gift yarn story that happened just recently.  Chris, my friend here in the USA for whom I made the green hat above and two other hats last year is a knitter, but does not plan to be doing more knitting soon.

She is so sweet that she recently cleaned out her stash and brought it over to me.  The off-white Bernat yarn in the plastic bag pictured at the right is an afghan kit that she brought to give me when we met for dinner about two weeks ago.  She said she doesn't think she'll make the afghan and has misplaced the directions long ago, but I am sure I'll find a perfect use for the yarn. 

Last weekend, Chris and her sister, Erica, came for dinner with us at our home and brought me even more yarn!  There is a variety of different yarns and some partially made projects.  Small amounts of yarn are fine for me because I make doll clothes that don't require much yarn of the same type.  The yarn is beautiful and I look forward to using it.

Chris and Erica are readers of this blog so I wanted to share the story of this gorgeous yarn and say THANK YOU to Chris who gave it to me. 

Friends are so sweet!
Lois
-------------------------------------
Hat for Summer - Crochet
------------------------------------

This hat can also be used as a chemo cap.

Bottom Border gauge: 6 st = 1"; 9 rows = 3"

Body Border gauge:

Adult medium: 22" slightly stretched

E hook

Bottom border:

Row 1: ch 10 dc in fourth ch from hook (counts af first dc) and in each ch across.(8 dc)ch 2, turn.

Row 2 - 64 : working in back loop only, dc across and in turning chain, ch 2, turn.


Hold short ends together and ss together. do not break off.

Body of hat is worked along side of rows of bottom border.

Row 1: ss to side of first row of stitches of border, ch 2 (counts as first dc) and dc in same space, 1 dc in side of next st, *2 dc in side of next st, 1 dc in side of next st. Repeat from * around. Join with ss. (96 st) Ch 2, turn.

Row 2 - 15: Work even in dc. Ch 2, turn.. (7-1/4 " from beginning).

Row 16: (begin decreases) ch 1, draw up a loop in next st, yo, work off as dc (dec made at beg of round), work dec dc in next two st (yo, pull up a st in ea of the next 2 st, yo, pull through 3 loops, yo, pull through last 2 loops), and in each 2 st around. (44 st) ch 2, turn.

Row 17: work even in dc. (44 st.)

Row 18: Repeat row 16 (22 st.)

Row 19: Repeat row 16 (11 st.) do not join

Working from right side sc 2 tog until 6 st remain, ss in next st, break off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your post today. I don't know how you find time to knit and bake. You must have a full day! The spring cap is so cute! It looks like something my daughter would wear. She lookks so cute in hats. Have a good weekend...debbie

Wanda..... said...

I meet once a month with a group of friends from grade school days, one friend knits small scarves, bunny pins for Easter and dish rags, for all 12 of us, using her leftover yarn. Knitters are nice!

Lois Evensen said...

Hi Debbie and Wanda,

It's nice to see you both here.

Yes, Wanda, knitters are not only nice, they are very friendly. When knitters are out in public knitting other knitters will stop for friendly chat. They are all very nice people. :)

Lois

Suna Kendall said...

Hi--I am glad you found my blog so I could look at yours--I have friends who would love to try the hat pattern. Serendipity!