About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Shells Dish Cloth - Crochet

Good morning,

Here's a classic that I've made many times.  It's a little too "open" to be a heavy duty pot holder, but I often use these for pan handles that don't need a lots of padding to be moved.  In addition to dish cloths these can be also be used as pads under warm dishes.   I am sure I have used them for all three purposes over the years.

This is a great "teacher" pattern for a project with someone who wants to learn to crochet, especially the kids who may be home for a snow day.  It's quick, relatively easy, and makes an item great for them to use themselves or give as gifts.  I've made several sets of these this year to use as hostess gifts, too.  I have another teaching pattern coming, too, as soon as it is finished and photographed.  ;)

The pattern is below if you'd like to make some.

Very best,
Lois


Shells Dish Cloth - Crochet

Materials:

J crochet hook, 2 balls Lily Sugar 'n Cream Shades of Green, 2 oz

Make 2:

ch 30,

Row 1: sc in second st from hook, skip 1 ch, *3 dc in next ch (shell made), skip 1 ch, sc in next ch. Repeat from * ending in sc in last ch.

Row 2: ch 2, turn, 2 dc in first st, skip 1 st, sc in center dc of previous row, skip 1 st, 3 dc in next sc of previouw row. Repeat from * ending in 3 dc in last st.

Row 3: ch 1, turn, skip 1 st, sc in center dc of shell of previous row, *3 dc in next sc, sc in center dc of next shell. Repeat from * ending in sc in center dc of last shell.

Rows 4 - 19: Repeat rows 2 and 3 (or size desired ending in row 3.)

Do not break off.

Border: Ch 1, turn, work 3 sc in corner, then continue working sc around working 3 sc in each corner. Join with ss.

Loop: Ch 4, skip 1 st, pull up a loop in next 2 st, yo, pull through 3 loops on hook, turn work 6 sc in ch 4 loop, pull up a loop in st at base of ch 4 and in next st, pull through both loops, break off, weave in ends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother used to make those for me and I still have them. She died 23 years ago and I cherish them. Mine are multi-colored except for one that is red and white, which is my favorite...debbie

Wanda..... said...

I have a friend that keeps several of us supplied with knitted dishcloths and pot holders, plus house socks once in awhile.

Olive Knitting said...

Thanks for the pattern Lois. I'm looking for quick projects...it's about all my mind can handle right now. xoox

Montanagirl said...

Nice! I like the color combo. My Mom and Grandmas used to do this sort of handi-work.

Elaine said...

Since I've discovered crocheted and knitted dishclothes those are all I use. I usually get them at the bazaars so have a good supply.

Lois Evensen said...

Yes, I really like this basic pattern. There's nothing like having these to use and I still have some made by an Aunt who died 25 or 30 years ago. They seem to last forever.

Thank you, everyone, for stopping by.

Very best,
Lois