About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Pot Holders - Crochet

Good morning,

I made these two sets of pot holders and gave them as gifts.  I keep some around at home to use as hostess gifts, too.
This is the first project I always use when teaching someone, especially children to crochet.  I like the fact that it is a quick and easy pattern to make and it results in something we can all use. 

You've probably made these many times yourself, but if you'd like the pattern one more time, mine is below.  ;)

Best,
Lois

Super Simple Pot Holders - Crochet

2 Lily Sugar and Cream 2 oz. balls

I crochet hook (or hook needed to produce a tight fabric)

Potholders: make 2

Row 1: ch 31, sc in second ch from hook and in ea ch across.

Rows 2 - 32: Ch 1, turn, sc in ea st (30 sc)

do not break off,

Border:

ch 1, turn, work 3 sc in corner, sc around piece working 1 sc in ea st and end of each row and 3 sc in each corner, join with ss.

Loop:

ch 4, skip 1 st, pull up a loop in each of the next 2 st, yo, pull through both loops, turn. Now working in space created by ch 4, work 6 sc., ss in sc before ch 4. break off. weave in ends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH! those are pretty!! I've never learned to knit or crochet. It seems so complicated to me. I tried to knit once while in college and ended up give it to Bob's gramma to finish. I still have it. It's bright blue and white. lol...debbie

grammie g said...

HI Lois...what a life ,knitting ,crocheting ,and riding the high sea's..lol
I miss my Mom's crocheted potholders!!

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Your crocheting is gorgeous, Lois. Adds a lovely personal touch to any kitchen!
Have a happy new week. xxx

Anonymous said...

My mom spent most of her life with a crochet needle in her hand or a rug hook and the rest of the time was at her old Singer sewing machine. Patty, my wife, does some crochet work and knitting but also got carpal tunnel syndrome from it and had to have surgery. So the result is that she does not do much of anything with needles anymore.

Diana said...

Quick and cute! I'm working on crochet Valentines right now!
Love Di ♥

Lois Evensen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lois Evensen said...

Good morning,

I wonder how many hundreds of these potholders I have made through the years. I got a kick out of the well-worn potholders I had made that I inherited from my Mom when she died. When I saw them I nearly cried thinking that she had used them all those years. She sewed and tatted; I knit and crochet. We were quite a team. :)

Diana, I hope you'll share pictures of your Valentine hearts on your blog!

Thank you so much, everyone, for stopping by.

Very best,
Lois