About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Expensive Toys in St. Maarten, Dutch West Indies

Good morning,

Above is an expensive toy anchored off St. Maarten, Dutch West Indies. 

The overcast day and my position on Deck 12 of Freedom of the Seas docked in St. Maarten gave me an excellent view of this beautiful sailboat.
I walked to the back of Freedom and captured this image of a privately owned four mast sail boat.

To the right in this image, you see the red roof of the water taxi dock featured in an earlier post (here) when I took the water taxi to Philipsburg (images here) across the bay with our daughter, Catherine, and Aunt Carol last September.
This is a zoomed image of Philipsburg taken from Deck 12 of Freedom of the Seas.

I had my baby camera, a Canon PowerShot SX 210IS while taking this walk on the deck.  I didn't go out to take the images, they were just there for me while I was walking.  Although we have a number of bigger Canon cameras, I am so happy to have the little PowerShot tucked into my pocket wherever I go just to capture these image opportunities.

Very best,
Lois



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I wonder how many crew members sail with those boats. I am thinking that I would like to get a small camera to carry with me in my purse. I can't begin to even number how many times I have come upon a great photo op and no camera. Hope you are getting lots of relaxation and enjoying your cruise.

Marit Johanne said...

Wow, what toys! I would be happy to have a little rowing boat:) Have a nice weekend!

Montanagirl said...

I haven't yet bought a "pocket" camera, but I think they would be very handy to have. So small, to slip into a purse or pocket. Nice Photos you took, Lois!

Wanda..... said...

I wonder how often the people that own those "expensive toys"...get to use them and why the need of something so large.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for showing us how some folks like to spend their $$, but of course, some folks do live on these ships year round so when you consider the cost of owning a home, upkeep, etc, maybe it evens out in the very very long run.

Lois Evensen said...

Good morning,

We often see several crew members on these large boats. I would guess six or eight on each.

These boats are generally not alternative houses; everyday folks who have a boat for living usually have one approximately 40' or a little less in length to have all the comforts to survive and be comfy. We do see plenty of those, especially anchored in St. Thomas, USVI. That sounds like fun, but there are all kinds of obstacles from raw crime on the high seas to crime in the various ports to crime from governments demanding high, sometimes arbitrary "taxes" for visiting, anchoring, or getting parts. We have friends who have done this for many years; in their 70's they have finally sold their Spray copy sailboat that they had built themselves to build a home on land.

The large boats pictured are generaly owned by extremely wealthy individuals who use them only part of the year. Think Onassis. In fact, we often saw the Christina O tied up at a small island in Europe. It was smaller than the boats pictured in this post.

I am so glad to have my baby camera or I would have missed these and other images. It is really worth it to have it available here and at home where grandchildren and dogs often present wonderful unexpected picture opportunities.

Thank you so much, everyone, for stopping by.

Very best,
Lois