About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Knitting Pattern Review - Creative Knitting, January, 2011

Good morning,

Here's a review of a sweater I just made.  It is unblocked in the image above, but the knit is so soft it probably won't need much blocking.  Just being worn will make it fit nicely to the body.

This sweater is "Ethereal Eyelets Pullover" from the pattern on page 17 of the January 2011 issue of Creative Knitting magazine.

What drew me to it was the pattern stitch in the body.  I like the easy eyelet pattern stitch and the look of the resulting fabric.  I'll probably adapt it to use again in some other garment.

The yarn is sport weight, #3, so there is a whole lot of knitting here. 

Something I really, really like about this pattern is that it is designed to fit the body well.  Instead of a straight body from hem to underarms, there are increases and decreases that provide a very flattering fit.

I enjoyed making the sweater, but doubt I would make it again, at least like this.  I am sure I would change the edges to something more defined than the roll of stockinette stitch. 

But, I think the roll edge will be nice for a doll dress to give the dress a little lift at the hem. That will probably be coming soon.  ;)

So, that's my review of this Creative Knitting Magazine pattern. 

What are your favorite knitting magazines? 

Best,
Lois

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love squarish necklines!! Pretty, pretty!! who is this one for?? ...debbie

grammie g said...

Hi Lois ..that is a beautiful sweater..I really like that pattern,but I do see what you mean about the roll!!
That sometimes makes an unfinished look!!

Marit Johanne said...

This sweater looks very nice!

Marty Mason said...

I love it. Bet it is so soft against your skin.

Elaine said...

Looks like a very nice pattern, and the sweater looks beautiful.

Christine said...

What a beautiful sweater Lois. I wish I could knit; it's like Greek to me. I've been crocheting for ever and love it.

Cathy said...

Hello Lois
Love the look of the sweater - not so keen on the hemline. Trouble is without the loose hem it wouldn't hang the same way
Would be nice for the evening in a sparkly lurexy type of yarn.
Take care
Cathy

Lois Evensen said...

Good morning,

Debbie, there are three of us in the family who wear the same size sweater so I am not sure who will get this one. I just may wear it myself. ;)

I think an alternative hem might be a loose (larger needle) double seed stitch to keep it flat, but not cause the roll. I'll surely do something like that instead of allowing the roll if I make this or a similar sweater again.

Thank you so much, everyone, for stopping by and your kind comments.

Very best,
Lois