About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Cable Knit Scarf


Good Morning,

I just finished designing and knitting a hat and scarf for my husband.  Today I'm sharing the pattern for the scarf and tomorrow I'll share the pattern for the hat.

We live in Cincinnati where it gets very cold at this time of the year. We are not there right now, but will return in February.  We have two Labrador Retrievers who take my honey for a walk a couple of times a day so a good hat and scarf are necessities.  This one was made to order just for him. 

Lion Brand Wool-Ease is one of my favorite yarns.  It is wonderful to work with and so comfortable to wear.  This pattern of rows of cable stitches provides a soft fabric that stays neatly around the neck, but can be pulled up to cover the chin and nose in very, very cold weather. 

You'll note in the pattern that I place markers between the cable pattern stitches and the border.  This is so I know I've reached the border stitches if I am not watching what I am doing with my hands.  I knit and crochet while the TV is on or while chatting with family and friends so there are times my hands just do what they need to do while my mind is elsewhere.

So, here is the pattern.  Enjoy!

I make every effort to be sure there are no errors in my patterns.  If you find an error, please let me know so I can correct it before the next person has to deal with it.  As always, comments and/or questions are always welcome.

Very best,
Lois

Cable Knit Scarf

Finished size: 8" x 54"

Gauge in pattern without stretching: 4" = 28 stitches, 4" = 28 rows

Materials:

Size 9 needles

9 oz. knitting worsted weight #4 yarn. I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease used for this project.

Cable needle

Note: First and last 4 stitches are always knit.

Cast on 50 stitches.

Row (rs) 1: K 4, pm, *k6, p6 repeat from * 3 times, k6, pm, k4.

Row 2: k4, *p6, k6, repeat from * 3 times, p6, k4.

Rows 3 - 8: repeat rows 1 and 2.

Row 9 (cable row) k4, *slide 3 k stitches to cable needle, knit next 3 stitches, knit 3 stitches from cable needle (cable made), p 6, repeat from * across ending with a cable, k4.

Repeat rows 2 - 9 for 54" or desired length ending with row 8. Cast off in pattern.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: