About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Inspiration

Good morning,

Do you know what type of flower this is?  I wouldn't have if I hadn't seen it in my own garden.  It is the flower on the top of a carrot.  We've had fun this year planting pieces of veggies we have purchased at the grocery and are harvesting the results already.   We have had "locally grown" (our patio garden) chives all season now.  The carrots have really started to grow and it'll be interesting if there is anything to eat when we pull them out of the soil in another few weeks.

In the meantime, the real reason I took this image is because of the inspiration the flower provides for crochet patterns.  I just love this pretty, intricate flower and the subtle color changes.  I am going to work up some drawings and write down some ideas for making it an afghan pattern.  So pretty!

What are you growing in your garden this year?

All the best,
Lois

2 comments:

Karen said...

It reminds me of Queen Anne's Lace.

Lois Evensen said...

Hi Karen, I agree the flower looks like Queen Anne's Lace so I looked it up and here's what I found:

Queen Anne's Lace is related to carrots, but is not the ancestor of the domesticated carrots that we eat as some sources claim. Garden carrots are actually a cultivar of a sub-species, Daucus carota subsp. Sativus. Queen Anne's Lace roots are edible and taste of carrots, but they are much smaller and skinnier.