About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Catalpa in Bloom and Beautiful Bouquet

Good morning,

The Catalpa Tree above is in full bloom.  It is approximately 80 feet tall and is beside our driveway.  In 2010 we had to remove a similar tree from our front yard.  It was a sad event, but the tree was damaged and ready to come down on its own so for safety we had it removed.  I have pictures of that event here on my blog.
This is another Catalpa Tree in full bloom.  I took the picture from the same spot in my front yard as the first image.  The second picture is the Sycamore House (should be the Catalpa House?) on the campus of Xavier University.  The entire neighborhood is filled with the delicious aroma of the catalpa flowers.
And, this is the bouquet My Honey gave me for Mothers Day.  He took me along to the florist so I could pick out the flowers and colors I wanted.  I so appreciate that!  These were just perfect for the table for our dinner on Mother's Day.  They are still quite pretty as I type this many days later.  ;)

This week's flowers are gorgeous inside and out!

Enjoy,
Lois

Copy this image and its link to place on your blog

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have many Catalpa trees around here too. The one in your yard is just beatuiful!! Nice big tree!!...debbie

Anonymous said...

Your Mother's Day bouquet is gorgeous and those tree photos are amazing. How very pretty!

Hootin Anni said...

Stunning bouquet!!!! The flowers AND the vase.
As for the catalpa tree...I remember these as a child...the huge, long seed pods in Autumn.

Kathy said...

And do you get the big caterpillars that come with these trees? They say they make the best fish bait. Some people I've heard even gather them and keep them in their freezer. Nothing like stocking up I guess but I'm not sure I'd want worms in with my food, frozen or not!

Sheltie Times said...

Beautiful tree.

TexWisGirl said...

those trees are fabulous! and huge!

grammie g said...

HI Lois...My Catalpa Tree is just leafing out ....
Your's is gorgeous...they are so exotic looking...makes me anxious to see mine in bloom : }

The Mother's day bouquet is gorgeous, and still looking good..wow!!
Grace

Diana said...

I remember the Catalpa tree! That's how I found out that the tree growing in my neighbor's driveway was. It is getting bigger and bigger!!
I love the flowers on it and you did great choosing some pretty one's for your table. I hope it was a great Mother's Day! Love Di ♥

EG CameraGirl said...

Just gorgeous! I love catalpas when they are in bloom!

Nancy said...

The trees are beautiful and your bouquet -- especially those large pink roses -- gorgeous! :)

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

It's a magnificent tree, Lois.
That bouquet is also lovely!

Montanagirl said...

Have never seen a Catalpa tree. It's very nice. Your flowers are beautiful!

XoXo said...

Wow, I've never seen this tree yet or maybe I'm not just too observant or I even wonder if they grow here in California... Ha! Beautiful bouquet and yes I appreciate it me choosing a gift I will treasure.

Thanks for the visit!

Libby said...

What a great bouquet for Mother's Day :)

My little brother went to Xavier!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful tree!

Anonymous said...

A very impressive tree!!
Never seen a flowering Catalpa tree.
Lovely Mother's Day bouquet.
Thank you for sharing.

Jama said...

Lovely bouquet!

Kim, USA said...

These tree is very pretty!

Kim, MI

Ingmarie We said...

Lovely flowers for Mother's Day. And very impressive catalpa. I really like the iris germanica in your header. Do you know the name of it?

Unknown said...

a gorgeous bouquet. i love the pale pink roses.

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Thank you for your continuing participation in Floral Friday Fotos, Lois.