About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Makers Mark Distillery - Part 2 of 4

Good morning,

Our tour of Makers Mark Distillery began as we walked from the family home across the property to the main building of the distillery.

The grounds are beautiful and we had picked a perfect day to be here.

Our guide gave us a history of the place as well as information about grains used before we entered the first building.

 Here we go!

 This is a small distillery compared to most others.
 The wood vats were empty when we were there.  Seeing them empty was fascinating.  We had been here several years ago when they were full and bubbling.


Tomorrow the tour will continue.  We still have to age and bottle the bourbon!

Enjoy,
Lois

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rats! Empty Vats!
Do you get a free bottle of the good stuff when you finish your tour? sure hope so! I mean all that walking can bring on a fearful thirst! ...debbie

TexWisGirl said...

love the red window trim and the red wheels on the wagon, too!

River Glorious said...

What does it smell like?

Lois said...

I'm enjoying the tour so far Lois! I've never been to a distillery before, so this is quite interesting.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I just love anything having to do with fermentation Nice pics.

Bob Bushell said...

Now, I love distilleries, the more the merrier, hic hic hic.

Jan n Jer said...

You sure did have gorgeous weather. Very interesting tour! Bet their bourbon is smooth n mellow!

Lois Evensen said...

Hi!

Ambar, you asked about the smell. There wasn't much smell. I guess the only thing I could describe was a slight yeast smell. Since I make bread at home so bread yeast is a familiar aroma, it reminded me of making bread. The vats were empty this time we were there and they had been steam cleaned.

No, Debbie, no free bottle, but there is a tasting coming at the end! :)

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by. It's nice to have you all on the tour with us.

Lois

EG CameraGirl said...

This is all new to me, Lois. Thanks for taking us on this tour.

Montanagirl said...

Interesting! I really like the green wagon with the red wheels.

Rose said...

It is so interesting to see how things are done. I will be back to see the next part...

Lynette said...

Thoroughly enjoying the tour at Maker's Mark. My goodness, but I do enjoy that bourbon whiskey.

VP said...

Interesting tour, I hope they have some good stuff around...