About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Back in Miami, Florida


Hello,

It's "the day after" and here we are back in Miami.

I'm sure the kids at home are spending the day playing with their new toys and the adults are recovering from too much food.

It was a beautiful Christmas here on board Majesty of the Seas.  We'll be here for the New Year, too, so the holiday fun is not yet over.

I learned to knit from my third grade teacher.  She was knitting while the kids were out for recess and I asked if I could stay in and learn to knit.  The next day I brought knitting needles and yarn.  Mrs. Fox taught me to knit and purl which was all I needed to get started.  After making my first scarf, I made clothes for my Ginny Dolls.  That will date me!  Does anyone else remember Ginny Dolls?

Through the years I picked up every knitting and crochet book I could find and taught myself something new with every project.  Now I enjoy designing toys, clothing, and household items which fits right in with my left brain accounting thought processes and right brain love of creativity. Knit and crochet both have to do with numbers of stitches, sizes to achieve, shapes to be made, spaces to be filled.  Add to that the unlimited variety of materials that can be used and and the possibilities are without limit.

Now that I'm retired, I have the time to devote to designing and the grandchildren to wear the sweaters, dresses, scarves, hats, mittens that flow off of my knitting needles and crochet hooks.

Last September I made this outfit as well as several other different outfits to fit the American Girl size doll.  I gave this crochet sweater, knit skirt outfit to one of my granddaughters for Christmas.  I didn't happen to write down the pattern as I made it while holding my work up to my traveling doll used just for the purpose of being my model while designing.  I'll be making more, though, and will note the patterns as I make them.

I have other projects in the works and will share a very quick and easy one tomorrow that will be fun to share with the young crocheters in your household.

Comments?  I'd love to hear from you.

Very best,
Lois 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: