About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Monday, September 23, 2019

Marigold - Year Three

Good morning,

These gorgeous orange marigolds are overpowering the yellow mum I planted in the porch planter this year.  I planted the mum, then the marigold took off and climbed to the top. The marigold is blooming for the third year without any help from me except some water during dry weeks. 

The marigold plant doesn't survive, of course, but it reseeds itself in the pot.  As I dead head blossoms, I drop them back in the pot and am rewarded the following year.  This only worked in one of the matching flower pots on the front porch.  I'll try dropping some of this year's marigold seeds in the other pot, too, this year.

Happy Fall!

Lois

2 comments:

DUTA said...

Marigold, if you care to know, is a good source for lutein and zeaxanthin, two substances which come in supplement form, and are used by people with eyesight problems.

Lois Evensen said...

Thank you, DUTA! That is so very interesting and good to know. :) I suppose marigold is also used in recipes? I'll have to research that. Fascinating....