About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Friday, December 2, 2011

My Old Kentucky Home - Part 1 of 2

Good morning,

Today and tomorrow I'll share some images I took while we were at My Old Kentucky Home near Bardstown, Kentucky.  This was a wonderful guided tour that is a must-see if you are in the area.
On the way to the main house, the guide took us past the family grave yard.  Throughout the tour, we learned about the people buried here.  There were marriages, parties, mysterious deaths....  What secrets must be buried here with these people.

Our period-costumed guide was full of fascinating facts. 
 The famous Stephen Foster song is thought to have been written about this lovely place.
 This statue of a young Stephen Foster looking toward the mansion is a part of the large gardens surrounding the home.


 This small structure was the ticket booth for the property until about 20 years ago when a larger modern building with gift shop was built.  The property is available for rent for weddings and other events.
 This is our group going inside the home.  Pictures inside are no longer permitted, which is sad.  I was here more than 20 years ago when pictures were allowed. 

Tomorrow I'll have more images of the outside of the property and the small law office that is down the hill from the large home.

We love places like this.  I hope you enjoy visiting this one with us.

Best,
Lois

15 comments:

VP said...

Excellent post, I always like to learn about these things!

Nedra said...

I've never been to Kentucky, and have always wanted to tour. Thank you for the great pictures!

Hootin Anni said...

Oh my goodness...this was such a pleasure. An excellent tour and learning experience. I really, REALLY, enjoyed this.


A link to my Friday post: Part 1 of our Road Trip

Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Jan n Jer said...

Great photos...thanks for the interesting tour!

EG CameraGirl said...

Fun to read, Lois. I wonder why the taking of photos is not allowed any more! Hmm.

TexWisGirl said...

i love the costume for the tour guide. :)

Bob Bushell said...

Nice pictures of "My Old Kentucky Home".

Marit Johanne said...

I too love places like that! I am afraid I will never get to Kentucky so I am glad you are sharing :) The guide look so great in her costume.

Montanagirl said...

Loved this post. It's fun to learn about things I have never seen!

Peter said...

The sun shines bright ... excellent!

Angela Häring-Christen said...

Thank you, Lois! For the interesting post!
Greetings
Angela

Christine said...

What a beautiful place Lois. Never been to Kentucky; maybe after hubby retires!

Lois said...

A beautiful tour! Thanks for sharing. Stephen Foster also wrote the state song of Florida, "Old Folks at Home", even though he never even visited the state. There is some controversy going on about the song now, due to the lyrics. I hope they don't change it though.

Jim said...

Quite interesting. Amazing costume.

Rose said...

I do really enjoy seeing these places...I wish you could have taken photos inside.