About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Civil War Museum - Bardstown, Kentucky - Part 1 of 2

Good morning,

Today and tomorrow I'm sharing images of the Civil War Museum at Bardstown, Kentucky, taken last August when My Honey and I were there. 
The museum is in several parts.  This building, the pioneer village next to it, a wildlife museum, and another two buildings containing period displays are all part of the museum.

Above is a part of the gift shop in the lobby where you can purchase tickets to visit the various parts of the museum.  We took the full package so we could take our time and visit them all.
Whether you want souvenirs from the above or below the Mason Dixon line, you'll find them here.
There was to be a drawing for these little dolls.  Of course I filled out a ticket, but didn't hear anything so I guess they went to a different home.  They are so pretty!
Is she darling, or what!
The museum itself is very well kept and has excellent displays.  It is also wheelchair accessible.
The very first painting is of Col. William Haines Lytle, who was connected to the Rowan family who lived at My Old Kentucky Home and also Cincinnati, our home town.


 I remember visiting privately owned museums when I was on road trips with my parents and My Honey and I enjoy visiting museums now.  This is one of the best kept private museums we have ever seen.
 The collections span years and are carefully documented and displayed. 
 The good and the bad of the times is displayed here.

 History is explained in images and text.

Tomorrow I'll have the last set of images from here that include information about the US Navy during the Civil War.  Fascinating.

I hope you're enjoying the Civil War Museum at Bardstown, Kentucky visit. 

Best,
Lois






11 comments:

Montanagirl said...

Interesting stuff, Lois. Thank you for sharing.

TexWisGirl said...

seems to present the good and bad, like you said.

Anonymous said...

What a great Museum! Did realize Kentucky had a Civil War Museum. I guesss I never thought of them as part of the Civil War. Which is dumb of me. Neat post! ...debbie

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Nice, I like private museums. You never know what you are going to get. I like that they let you take photographs so that you could share your visit with us.

Anonymous said...

Good photos and very interesting.

Ann said...

OH, I think this needs to go on my list of places to visit!

Karen said...

I enjoyed reading the text about the Slave trade....thanks for sharing this.

EG CameraGirl said...

Nice to see both sides - the good and bad - have been shown here.

Anonymous said...

The idea of slavery always stuns me. It is even in the Bible which stunned me when I was old enough to read that.

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Thanks for the virtual visit to this interesting museum!

Rose said...

This would be a wonderful place to visit...my husband would really enjoy it, too.