About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Monday, October 21, 2013

U.S. Coast Guard Medical Evacuation

Good morning,

We live in a wonderful time when we can get medical care even when taking a trip to a small tropical island.
We had a medical emergency on board Freedom of the Seas and the U.S. Coast Guard responded.
Although our ship has a helipad on the bow of the ship, it is safer for the helicopter to land near the ship when possible to evacuate the critically ill patient since we were at anchor.  The patient was tendered ashore and quickly evacuated safely.

All the best,
Lois

9 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Nice to hear that such evacuations are possible.

Rose said...

I hate to hear that someone's vacation was ruined....but at least they got help! It is an amazing world we live in.

Faye said...

I haven't been on any mega cruises, but last year in Russia on a river cruise from St Petersburg to Moscow there were several times when the boat doctor was needed for both illness and one freakish accident. Very comforting to know that help is available. Just thinking--for that trip I bought the special med-evac insurance so could be sure of getting the help you're showing in your photos. Didn't want to leave to chance in Russia!

VP said...

That is reassuring!

grammie g said...

Hi Lois... Sorry I haven't been by, I just can't seem to keep up!!
Well it is nice to know that all would be done to help me if I was aboard!!
Not what I would want to happen on my cruise!! : )

Happy sailing!!

Grace

grammie g said...

Hi Lois... Sorry I haven't been by, I just can't seem to keep up!!
Well it is nice to know that all would be done to help me if I was aboard!!
Not what I would want to happen on my cruise!! : )

Happy sailing!!

Grace

Michelle said...

Nice to know that great medical care is just a flight away.

Elaine said...

Good to see they can handle emergencies like this. Hope the patient is doing well.

Montanagirl said...

Somehow I missed this post. That's amazing.