About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Winter Flowers in St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.

Good morning,

On another morning walk in St. Thomas I was greeted by these pretty pink flowers.  There aren't as many blossoms at this time of the year as in the Summer.
This bud is outside the Post Office, one of my important regular stops in this port.
Even the strips dividing traffic have vines and fern that we grow in the house back home where it snows.
These plants are much happier here when they are at home than they are inside where I am at home.  ;)

Very best,
Lois

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9 comments:

Cathy said...

Hello Lois
I see Tradescantia (Wandering Jew) and Asparagus Fern in the lower picture and is that a Bromiliad with the red flower? Hate to tell you this but if thats what they are - they will all grow outdoors here in my garden as well lol Do you know the name of the first one?
Take care
Cathy

Christine said...

Love the flowers Lois, especially the pink one.

Lois Evensen said...

Hi Cathy,

No, I don't know the name of the first one.

I used to have many "house plants" when I wasn't traveling so much. I always had a large pot of wandering jew hanging in a window and put some outside in warm weather. It is extremely easy to propogate as you probably know.

We have various kinds of fern at home, too. We have some winter hardy fern in one of our gardens; it is the same as is found in the forest in Norway. I had a huge asparagus fern on my patio for a long time that I brought in every winter.

Hugs,
Lois

grammie g said...

Hi Lois..great to see that nice pink flower as I sit here on a gray 15 degree day with nothing but snow as far as the eye can see!!! : }}
Enjoy!! ♥

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lois, the colorful flowers and warmer temps are a marked contrast to the conditions in Ohio and I bet you are happy to be in St Thomas. Happy Hearts Day to you and your sweetheart!

Anonymous said...

The Virgin Islands. Wow.

And we suffer back here through lots of minuses and only a few pluses like today the ice on the roof is continuing to melt. That's a good sign that spring is thinking again. As for the plants the wandering one looks familiar but I can't recall if it still grows here or not in my backyard.

We have one African Violet. It is ageless. The cat sometimes knocks it off and the plastic pot it is in these days, often lets the whole root ball fall out. So the plant doesn't look like it has been treated very well. But it still blooms.

Lois Evensen said...

Hi,

Yes, the Virgin Islands sure are warmer than Ohio. We will be on our way back to Ohio later this month so will be there in plenty of time to "enjoy" some of that snow!

Thank you, everyone, for stopping by.

Very best,
Lois

Diana said...

They are pretty and make me long for spring! Love Di ♥

Anonymous said...

These flowers are so beautiful! And to think we still have snow on the ground....two weeks worth! ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic