About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Sailing Out of Port Canaveral

Good morning,

My Honey and I are aboard the gorgeous Freedom of the Seas, one of the largest cruise ships in the world.  There is a total capacity of 5, 728 people, 1,400 of whom are crew. 
I'll share more images and information about the ship and ports as we go.  Today, however, I have images of sailing out of Port Canaveral.
This port has a totally different feel from the Port of Miami where we were last month.
 It's a combination of commercial...
and shipping...
...sections in addition to being a cruise ship port.
 It is also home to pleasure fishing boats...
...and...
... container shipping.
 We passed a tour boat in the small outlet to the sea...
...and some very barren land...
...before we sailed off into the sunset.

Parking at Port Canaveral is very, very easy.  We had been sailing out of the Port of Miami for the past few years where everything was much more congested.

Tomorrow I'll share more about this ship.  Although I have seen it on Freedom's sister ships, I haven't been down to the ice rink yet.  Yes, there is an ice rink here.  This will be so much fun!

Very best,
Lois

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9 comments:

Sherry said...

That's a BIG ship! I laughed at the picture of the "small" boat below you! It looked so small in comparison!!!

Anonymous said...

THAT IS ONE BIG, BIG SHIP!! ...and it carries a lot of people! Like a small city!! whoa! Maybe me one day! lol ...debbie

Montanagirl said...

Oh my - That ship is just awesome! What fun you'll have. I'll be waiting for your posts!

Diana said...

Hi Lois! Is this a pleasure trip? I wish I were there! Have fun.
Love Di ♥
P.S. my word verification is "Shipperp"!

Elaine said...

I'm looking forward to the sights. I can't wait to see where we're going this time.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Here you go again, Lois and what fun we will have reading your posts and wishing we were aboard. Maybe one day Grenville and I will try a cruise, perhaps on a smaller ship. Certainly you will have LOTs to blog about. DO you need a GPS to find your way around on board?

Wanda..... said...

Have you ever gotten lost or disoriented while on board, Lois, seems like it might be easy to do. The humidity and heat have finally improved here in the Cincinnati area!

Anonymous said...

BUT do they have a bowling alley?????
Or a pool hall for a little 8 ball????
Can't wait to hear more on your adventures. Tomorrow i get to go out and count Dolphins.

Lois Evensen said...

Good morning,

Yes, the ship is huge. It is absolutely gorgeous.

The only thing I can't get that I would like to have is my broadband Verizon connection. Of course, I can connect, but it is via satellite so that has its drawbacks big time. There just don't seem to be any cell towers out here on the high seas. I'll be on the broadband Verizon connection on Sunday in a US port.

Well, Grenville, it may surprise you, but on Royal Caribbean's Radiance Class ships, they do have self leveling pool tables. No bowling alley yet, though. :)

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by.

Very best,
Lois