About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Big Block Stash Buster Afghan - Crochet

Good morning,

This afghan was made for my daughter's first bed when she moved out of a crib. She is all grown up now, but the grand kids still use it with others to throw on the floor to cuddle up to watch movies.

I made several versions of this design over the years;  all of the others have been given away. I'm so glad we still have this one so I can write down the pattern to use it again. For many years I designed items that I never wrote down, then gave them away so will never have the pattern to use again. I've learned. I write them down now.

This pattern can be quite dramatic in shades of grey, white, and black, or in earth tones, or in blues.... In addition to the little girl colors above, I've made it in "guy colors" for my son and for other male friends.  The possibilities are endless and the results of color change and/or changing the size of the blocks give very different looking finished products.

Color changes can be made as you would like to have them. You can make sizes of blocks as pictured, or make the same number of rows between main color border rows on each strip to produce a pattern of like-size blocks.  If alternating as pictured, be sure to keep in mind where color changes are on the current strip being made and the resulting arrangement of color of adjacent strips and placement as you work. I enjoy doing this and make it a game as I work on the afghan. I make all strips, then lay them out to be sure I will like the way they will look side by side before crocheting them together.

If you make this one, I would love to see pictures of your creation.  :)

Best,

Lois

----------------------------------------------------
Big Block Stash Buster Afghan - Crochet
---------------------------------------------------

Materials:

#4 yarn, approximately 50 oz for block color (bc), approximately 8 oz main color (mc) for border as pictured.  Size J crochet hook.

If you are making more color changes using more border color on each strip and/or a deeper outside border, more main color will be needed.

Important:  The first row of each strip is the right side of your work.  Be sure to start the first row of the two rows made in the strips between block colors on the right side of work.

Make 5 strips, each 151 rows long (first and last rows are right side)

Work over ends as work progresses.

Directions:

Open shell stitch for strip (make 5):

Row 1 (rs): chain 35, sc in second ch from hook, skip 1 ch, *(dc, ch 1, dc) shell made in next ch, skip 1 ch, sc in next ch, skip 1 ch. Repeat across ending in sc in last ch. (8 shells with sc at beginning and end of row)

Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc and ch 1) and dc in top of sc of previous row, *sc in center space of shell of previous row, shell in next sc of previous row. Repeat from * ending with shell in last sc.

Row 3: ch 1, *work sc in center of shell of last row, shell in top of sc of previous row. Repeat from * ending in sc in top of last shell.

Repeat rows 2 and 3 for pattern.

Work 151 rows from beginning.

Break off.

To crochet the strips together:

First strip:

Work 2 dc in sc st, ch 1, along long sides.  Work 3 dc in each sc st, ch1 along short ends of work.  Always work ch 3 in corners. When joining at corners, work ch 1, ss to corresponding space on next strip border, ch 1 in corner.

Second and subsequent strips:

Work as first strip, except on side where first and second strip is connected, replace middle ch on corner and each ch on side with a slip stitch into ch space on corresponding strip. You afghan goes together with no sewing and will have a neater, more secure joining than sewing can provide.

Border:

Working on right side, work border around entire afghan in same manner as strip joining borders.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11 comments:

Cathy said...

Hello Lois
For some reason looking at that blanket makes me think of hopscotch lol It does have a nice look to it tho'
Crochet is one craft that for some reason I've never been able to master. I 'have' tried but my fingers just don't work that way.
I've also lost count of the number of garments I've knit to give a way and never written down the instructions. You know when you've taken the size/no of stitches from one pattern and used a stitch (eg. lacy or fair isle design) from another - as sure as fate some one will see the garment and ask me to knit one 'just like it' for their child.
Take care
Cathy

Marty Mason said...

You are wonderful to share your great afghan pattern. I love it.

Can't remember.....that's why I am learning to take pictures of everything I do. Helps to jog the memory even when I haven't written down my method!

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

SO much lovely colors, your beautiful daughter must have had the sweetest dreams while sleeping underneath!
Have a happy Tuesday, Lois. xxx

Anonymous said...

That's a great blanket! Be pretty in jewel tones or girlie light colors. You do good work Lois!! ...debbie

Diana said...

I wish that I could crochet as much as I used to Lois. This afghan is lovely! I have made many over the years and given them away.
My hands are so bad anymore that I can only crochet about 20 minutes at a time if that. Carpel tunnel and arthritis. The doctor said it was probably from all of the crocheting that I did!
If I get shots in my hands I can do it longer but still have the carpel tunnel! I am not ready for the surgery yet! Love Di ♥

Montanagirl said...

Hi Lois. It's beautiful! Brings back memories of my Grandmas and mom - they all made afghans. Alas, it's not one of my things in life, but I still have all the afghans.

Wanda..... said...

Cathy came up with a good name for your lovely pattern Lois. It does have a look of Hopscotch to it!

It's a great pattern, Lois!

MyCretanlife said...

Hi Lois, I am still reading your posts but now that I am working ful time I dont get much chance to blog and comment on things.Role on the end of the summer season. Just know that I am still reading even if I don't comment.

River Glorious said...

I'm beginning to think you're one of those "super humans" Lois... You crank out photos, recipies (sp?), flowers, patterns. It's amazing!

And I like the idea of grays and blacks and whites for this afghan.

Thank you for being so generous with your recipes and patterns and sharing your world with us.

Cheryl said...

Thats it, I have to learn to crochet! What a pretty afghan and full of memories I'm sure.

Lois Evensen said...

Good morning,

Yes, Cathy, this could easily be designed to look like a hopscotch pattern. That would be very cool.

You're right Marty, taking pictures is important as well as writing down the designs. Blogging is a good way to get them all in one place. I have granddaughters who are interested in needlework so may enjoy having them written down someday.

Thank you, everyone, for stopping by. I really enjoy your blogs, too.

Very best,
Lois