About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Another Flower Garden Afghan - Crochet

Good morning,

Here is another of my flower garden afghans.  Each time it is made with a different color combination, it looks so very different.  This time I had a great time taking images...
...as the flowers grew...
...and grew on my coffee table.
And now, here are 80 round flowers that have a third round that has turned them into squares...
...and a fourth round that has changed their whole look.
I then moved to the bedroom where I laid them all out and arranged all of the squares to produce the color combination I wanted...
...tied a piece of yarn on the corner of the first one...
...then strung them all in the order I wanted to put them together.  I placed them in a box so they wouldn't get out of order before I could crochet them together.
After adding that final round five and the border, here is the result.
It looks very pretty here in my home away from home, but it is a gift for a dear friend of my husband's and mine.  We've given it away already and the recipient was VERY happy. 
As soon as I finished the one above that I just gave away, I made this one to take home to donate to our dog club.  They make a lot of money on these when they raffle them.  I spread it out on the bed to take the picture, but it's all packed up to go home now. 
For comparison, here is an afghan I made a couple of years ago with the same pattern, but with a different color arrangement. This one was a 40th wedding anniversary present.
And, still another. I've published this picture before.  This one was made in the more traditional multi-color arrangement with rounds three and four of the same color.  This demonstrates how very different this beautiful design can look by using different color combinations.

I hope you enjoyed seeing the images of my flower garden afghan grow.

Very best,
Lois

Update October, 2012:

Afghans made with my original patterns are available in my Etsy Shop EvensensProductions.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11 comments:

Sherry said...

Wow! Looking at these pictures make me want to get back into crocheting again! Haven't done that in years. I had a pattern that I made dozens of baby afghans over the years.

One thing for sure, I won't be bored in retirement, if that day ever comes!

Marit Johanne said...

Your Afghans are beautiful. And so different they become just because of different colors. One more thing I would like to make :)

Diana said...

I started one of these years ago Lois and still have all of the squares! I just found afghans too time consuming for me so I started making lots of doilies, toys and sweaters instead. I have finished many but still have two that I've never gone back to. Maybe someday. Yours are gorgeous. Crocheting is such a relaxing hobby!
Love Di ♥

Anonymous said...

Oh how pretty!! Love all the bright colors! I would think it would be a great idea for you to crochet one for all your bloggers! You really do nice work! Bob's Aunt used to make those. Have no idea what ever became of them all. hummmmm...debbie

Deere Driver said...

Last one's my fave. Amish colors.

MyCretanlife said...

I just love your crochet afgans. they are right up my street. I like sewing but also like to have either knitting or crocheting on the go at the same time. I enjoyed seeing all your colour variations.

Elaine said...

The color variations make such different looking afghans, and each beautiful. It would be hard to say which I like best.

Olive Knitting said...

Gosh! These are so beautiful...I have got to get going on one!!! Thanks for sharing the photos and for the reminder of your pattern.

Lois Evensen said...

Good morning,

Yes, making this afghan is fun. I make a game out of it and it goes very quickly.

Sure, Debbie, if only I had the time and energy to make one for each of my bloggy friends... ;) Seriously, I think it would be a good idea to get together some time and share ideas about all the crafty things we each make.

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by. I enjoy reading your blogs and about all the great things you do and make, too.

Best,
Lois

River Glorious said...

just peeking in and admiring your work.

ambar

Marcel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.