Saturday, January 28, 2012
3:00 AM Vet Visit
I took this image of daughter Catherine with Erik on her lap about 3:00 AM at the Emergency Vet about a week ago.
We still don't know what happened to him, but Erik was very, very sick. He couldn't keep anything inside (from either end) and was miserable. We took him to the vet in the middle of the night and they couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong with him. He had swallowed no foreign objects and there was no blockage.
By the next morning he couldn't walk. Erik will be three years old in April. He's a canine athlete and competes in Agility Trials so is otherwise very, very healthy.
This all happened within hours of Catherine taking the dogs to visit friends in the country followed by having the whole family here for brunch. The brunch could have nothing to do with it because our other dog, Penny, and all of us ate the food and we are all fine.
The emergency vet and our regular vet the next day were not able diagnose exactly what was wrong, but it appeared Erik had been poisoned. We don't know if it was something he picked up out in the country, on a walk near home, something that someone threw over our fence.... If only he could talk.
After preliminary testing at his office, our regular vet sent out blood and urine samples, but we don't have the results yet at this writing. He prescribed meds that seemed to do the trick.
The good news is that Erik is back to his happy self now.
This was tough....