About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Sourdough Culture

 Good morning,

A friend is making sourdough again so we've been talking (actually emailing) about it.  That got me going to start a new culture of sourdough. 

This time I wrote on the lid of the jar I'm using so there will be no confusion about the yucky looking stuff in the jar.  ;) 

 This is my sourdough on day five.  It's looking and smelling the way it should.  I'm only adding a few teaspoons of unbleached flour and a couple of ounces of water daily to get my culture going.  It doesn't take much!

 In the past when I was making larger quantities of bread nearly every day, I used a crock and plate across the top.  This time, I'm working with much smaller quantities, so the jar is just fine. 

 If you're interested in my whole process, it can be found here on this blog, complete with pictures: Sourdough Culture - Or - How to Grow Your Own Yeastie Beasties.

If you give it a try, let me know how yours turns out!

All the best,

Lois

No comments: