About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Bird Identification

Good morning,

On our way to an appointment this morning, I spotted a bird that was the shape, but not the color of a male Cardinal.

This bird was brown, not bright red.  It is the same shape and size as a cardinal and was hopping around in brush near the ground.  There was a smaller bird with it that I couldn't see well enough to identify or photograph.

Does anyone have any idea what this bird is?  I'm sorry the picture is so bad, but it beats a blank.

Thanks,
Lois

3 comments:

Madame Papillon said...

It might be a Cedar Waxwing, we sometimes see them in Southern Ontario in Spring, they like to eat any small crabapples still on the tree over winter.

Beth said...

Could it have been a female Cardinal?

Beth

Lois Evensen said...

Hello, Madame Papillon and Beth,

I don't think it's a Cedar Waxwing. The crest isn't the correct shape. It's definitely a mature male Cardinal-type crest. I also don't think it is a female Cardinal because of the very definite pronounced crest and coloring. I didn't mention in the post that the belly of the bird was much lighter than the back.

I've been searching through images on line and still am not so sure I have this one figured out. I appreciate all ideas from everyone. It would be fun to know what kind of a bird it is.

Lois