About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Wednesday, April 10, 2024

The Eclipse in Ohio

 Good morning,

We had clear skies on Monday so were able to enjoy the Eclipse as it passed through our part of the world.  Usually, when I look up, there are many, many contrails indicating a great deal of traffic in the skies above us.  Monday afternoon, however, there was a single sign of an airplane.  I'm sure those aboard had a great view of the eclipse.

The Eclipse began here just before 2 PM.  We took our four dogs outside to enjoy the beautiful weather while watching the sunlight fade, then reappear.  The dogs had no reaction to the whole thing.  Note the crescent-shaped shadows on the patio.  Of course, this was during the actual eclipse when the moon was passing in front of the sun, then the sunlight was filtered through the trees above our patio.

As the sky darkened, the floodlights began to come on.  It was actually darker than it appears in these pictures.
I found myself in the spotlight on the patio.  It was extremely dark inside the house.

As it was getting lighter again, I pointed my phone camera to the sky and snapped this picture.  I didn't try to look at the sun.

This was a fun experience.  We had an eclipse back in 2017, but it wasn't as complete as this year.  This year we had 99.4 % blackout.  What's coincidental about that here in Cincinnati, if you're old enough, you may remember Procter & Gamble's Ivory Soap being "99, 44, 100% pure."  For some silly reason that just rang a bell with me.  Cincinnati is P&G's home town.

So that's my "eclipse report."  If you were so inclined, I hope you were able to see it wherever you were last Monday.

All the best,

Lois

2 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

Not my thing but my in-laws drove 8 hours to and from to see it in New Hampshire.

MarkD60 said...

For about $3.50, years ago, I got a replacement lens for a welders mask so I could look at the sun
It had been something worth having over the years. I put the lens over my camera lens and zoom in for my Eclipse shot.