About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Christian Radich

Good morning,

While out walking deck 12 of Freedom of the Seas one sunny day in St. Maarten, Dutch West Indies, I spied a sail ship in the harbor.
I looked closer to see a Norwegian flag flying on her stern.  I looked even closer to see she was the Christian Radich, a Norwegian training ship.  What makes her even more important is that she was My Honey's first ship when he went to sea at age 16.  See that forward mast?  He has climbed that.  ;)
We went to lunch in Freedom's Windjammer Restaurant and sat where we could admire Christian Radich while we ate.
 My Honey had gotten more information about her visit here to St. Maarten.  She was on a charter with guests on board!
 I went back to deck 12 later in the afternoon with my Canon mirrorless camera to get some even better quality pictures.
 How beautiful!

I know the Christian Radich pretty well myself since we have a large model in a glass case in our living room.  The model was my gift to my husband on our tenth wedding anniversary.   The last time we saw Christian Radich in person was in Oslo, Norway, when she was tied up in front of the ship we were on, Splendour of the Seas.

Click here for more Christian Radich history and information.

Enjoy,
Lois

11 comments:

Marit Johanne said...

How nice to see Christian Radich at your part of world! And I am sure it was special for your husband.

grammie g said...

HI Lois...She is a beauty sitting there all pretty in the lovely harbor!!
Nice photos of it ...It must be nice when it is at sea with full sail! : )
Grace

TexWisGirl said...

wow, that is AWESOME! the ship came to you this time!

Unknown said...

I hope it brought back fond memories for him.

Lois Evensen said...

Hi Everyone,

Yes, Marit Johanne, it was quite a surprise to find her over here!

Betsy, it did! He was thrilled to see her.

Thanks, grammie and texwis, too, for stopping by and for all of your kind comments.

All the best,
Lois

Jack said...

I would have thought it a great coincidence to come across that ship, but you have now seen it twice. I guess that if you are a dedicated seafarer, it must be more common.

Tammy said...

Your photos of St. Maarten look like postcards! Gorgeous!

Lois Evensen said...

Jack, we used to see Christian Radich much more often when we were cruising Norwegian waters. ;)

Thanks, Tammy, we actually made some post cards of our images back when we spent more time cruising to ports around the world. Now that we use mostly email and post pictures on our blogs for family and friends, we don't make so many post cards any more. ;)

Thanks so much for stopping by and your kind comments.

All the best,
Lois

MarkD60 said...

Beautiful ship!
Imagine traveling through time and having that ship in the 1700's!

Elaine said...

Fun to see the Christian Radich in port in the Caribbean. I'm sure it was full of good memories for Kjell.

Gunn said...

Gosh, she is really out on a big trip!

Beautiful images..... and I seriously want to go on holiday soon.