About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Monday, August 24, 2020

Candle Making

Good morning,

When we get to the bottom of a candle, I put the wax into a basket (lined in plastic) to keep for later use. 
I haven't made candles for years and thought it was about time to do it again.  My old method still works perfectly. 

That's an old glass from a commercial candle that I burned completely.  I tied some butcher's cotton string to an old screw and suspended it from a pencil across the top of the glass.
I put pieces of old wax into a measuring cup - handle and pouring spout are important - on an old pie tin and placed it all in the oven at 170 degrees F.  It is important to keep the temperature very low to avoid the risk of fire.
As I melted wax I poured layer after layer into the jar.  It's important to let it cool between layers or it will not form flat layers.  It's fun to have the color changes, too.
And, here it is!  It works so beautifully.  I always burn our candles in a bowl and on a hot pad.  If I had gotten a little fancier, I would have removed the wax dripped on the side before the picture. 

I have enough wax to make three or four more of these. By then it will be after Christmas and large candles will be on sale again.  :)

It is good to be retired and have time to do things like this. 

All the best,
Lois

No comments: