About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Support For Small Businesses

Good morning,

We support small business whenever we can and one small business we support is our wonderful florist near us.  In fact, it is very near a large grocery store that has a floral department, but we prefer the beautiful flowers and attention to detail that we get here.

When we travel, we look for local restaurants and we buy hand made in the USA items whenever possible.  It's obvious the owners appreciate the business as they go above and beyond to provide excellent products and outstanding service for us.  
This lovely bouquet was assembled for us by our local florist while we watched.  We purchased it to give to our sister-in-law for her birthday.  I took this image in my sister-in-law's living room while we were visiting.
I'm not so sure these even cost more than if we had bought two bouquets at the grocery floral department to produce a bouquet this size.  Even if they did cost a little more, they are so much prettier and last longer.  They are totally worth it.

I know my friend Sherry of Sherry's Place buys from small businesses whenever she can, too.  Do you?

All the best
Lois

11 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yes, Lois, we do try to buy locally and made in the US whenever possible. The only problem here is not having a big choice of local merchants.

MarkD60 said...

I ran my own business for two years before I took the job I have now. I support small business but man, it was tough.

Sherry said...

I miss the small mom and pop hardware stores that are a thing of the past, replaced by the box chain stores. Now that was real customer service.

Lady Jane said...

Those are lovely flowers and I bet they will last longer than the supermarket flowers. We also try to support our local businesses when we can also.

TexWisGirl said...

a good reminder, lois. thank you.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

We try to buy local whenever we can.

Montanagirl said...

We try to buy locally as well. The big chain stores have run so many other individuals out of business.

VP said...

I absolutely agree with you and I am always trying to do the same.

Michelle said...

Supporting local businesses is so important! Thanks for bringing attention to this!

Elaine said...

Beautiful bouquet! We do prefer to buy locally at small businesses here whenever we can, although because of our location sometimes it's impossible to find some things locally. I also feel like the big chain stores with a store in Fairbanks benefit our local community because of the many jobs they create. Because of increased transportation costs and utility costs here I appreciate having a company that is willing to make a commitment to maintain a storefront in Fairbanks.

Rose said...

I bet she loved them! It sure is a beautiful flower arrangement.