About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Unusual Tombstones - Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati, Ohio

Good morning,

Here are a few of the more unusual tombstones and monuments at Spring Grove Cemetery.
This is a stone tree stump complete with stone ivy.
The designs of some of these monuments are amazing and must have cost a fortune.
This is a very sad tombstone.  It  lists children of a couple who died while still so very young.  What heartbreak these parents must have had.   Current medical care would probably have extended the lives of these young people.
So many of the ornate statues are also so beautiful.
Then, here is another tree monument.  The names of the deceased are on the base of the tree.

It's all so fascinating. 

Lois

13 comments:

fabriquefantastique said...

i have never come across tree monuments before.... wonder if they were 'in vogue' at some point.

Jan n Jer said...

How fascinating these are. They did not live very long back then...so sad to see.
BTW...I left you an award on my blog...go on over n grab it! :)

MyCretanlife said...

I have never seen these tre monuments before either. How strange. Maybe they wanted them to blend into the surrounding area.

Judy said...

These are really neat...I love to walk through old cemeteries, my heart breaks when I do tho.

TexWisGirl said...

i LOVE the tree monuments!!! that's my kind of tombstone! skip the angels and all that! give me an ivy covered tree trunk!!!

Christine said...

The tree monuments are very unusual. I've never seen anything like them before.

Rose said...

These are all so interesting...and beautiful. That was real artistry.

Wanda..... said...

The ivy covered tree monument is unique and lovely, but the bottom is just a bit sinister looking.

Lois said...

The tree monuments are something I've never seen before either. Very unusual!

Lois Evensen said...

Hi Everyone,

These monuments are in a very old part of the cemetery. I supposed the tree monuments were, indeed, popular at some time.

Thank you Jan n Jer! I will come over when I get to a US port where I have enough band width to load other blogs. :))

Yes, Wanda, I wonder about that first tree monument base. It almost appears that was originally under ground to anchor the part on the top. It is on a little hill. I wonder how the 1937 flood at Cincinnati might have influenced the way the cemetery grounds and monuments are today. I know that flood got to Ivorydale (P&G) so I would guess it was here, too.

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by.

Best,
Lois

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

They had lots more style than now.

Anonymous said...

Goodness me! I've never seen a monument made to look like a tree. Interesting for sure!!...debbie

Elaine said...

Lovely monuments. The one with all the children is indeed heartbreaking. It wasn't all that unusual either, and sometimes with an epidemic all the children in a family might die. I am very grateful for modern medicine.