About this Blog: Bread making recipes, knit and crochet projects, wood working, gardening, digital imaging, travel, cruise ships, Labrador Retrievers, and more....

About the Header Image: Idlebrook Wendy Darling Evensen "Wendy" one of our four Labrador Retrievers.

Click the header image to see most current posts.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ohio Farm Land South of Hillsboro

Good morning,

Just South of Hillsboro, Ohio, (see yesterday's post) is this school.  It was the first time I have seen a quilt square on a non-farm building.  Throughout much of Kentucky and Ohio there are quilt squares pictured on the sides of barns.  These squares generally are the favorite or family quilts of the lady of the house. I am not sure of the meaning of having one on the school except that quilting is taught here.
Barns in various conditions of repair or lack thereof are all along the way.


 This house was especially spooky with curtains blowing through the windows.
 My honey got out of the car and took pictures from next to our car parked at the side of the road.  I took my pictures from the passenger seat and continuously watched the windows for signs of life - or perhaps a gun.  It looks like the house has been broken into and has probably been a spot for parties.  Truly strange place.
 We don't see so many Mail Pouch barns any more.  I got this picture quickly as we passed at 55 MPH.
 We pulled into a parking lot and each took pictures of the buildings above.
 Nearby is this old store.  Although there are no signs advertising it as a store, it appears there is merchandise inside.

Tomorrow we will continue our journey along Ohio's back roads toward the Ohio River.  I hope you'll join us.  :)

Best,
Lois

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


23 comments:

Kalyan Panja said...

Nicely captured shots...looks a lovely place.

Sherry said...

These pictures sent my imagination into orbit!!! I'd love to know the story behind that house with the curtains still there! And that falling down barn - Man, I bet it goes back to the day when life was simple and uncomplicated. You just can't go back to the ship, Lois. I'm having too much fun with these road trip pictures!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lois, these are many abandoned homes and farms along some of the VA eastern shore back (and main) roads we've travelled on day trips. It's always amazed me how folks could just walk away from what were once very large homes. Even in bad times, trying to sell would seem a more viable alternative than abadonment.

Montanagirl said...

I like that old house with the curtain blowing in the spooky windows. I wonder what ghosts would appear if one were brave enough to spend the night in there!

Wanda..... said...

I noticed the old barn sitting next to the old house was in much better condition.

TexWisGirl said...

i LOVE that spooky old house! wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lois I love old barns and old.....well old anything really, the house with the curtain blowing in the wind is very eerie, the upstairs window on the left or(right looking at it) looks as though there is a woman standing behind it, but I think it is just the broken glass :o)
XOXO

grammie g said...

HI Lois...loved these shots so much character and wonderment!
What happened in these places and why are they still standing!
I like the house and it is a little spooky!!
What is a mail pouch..I have never heard that before!!
Safe travel..Grace

Angela Häring-Christen said...

I love the trip with you.
The picture number 5 with the old house is fantastic.

Lois Evensen said...

Hi,

Yes, that farm house sure was spooky. Rarely do we see them so close to the road and with so much action going on with the curtains blowing in the breeze.

Grammie G, Mail Pouch Tobacco barns used to be very common throughout the tobacco-growing parts of the U.S. Mail Pouch was a brand of tobacco. The company would paint the farmer's barn for free if they could put the advertisement on it. It was a pretty good deal for the farmer and the company. The barns became part of the American landscape.

I'm so glad you're having as much fun on this road trip as we are.

Thanks so much for stopping by and your kind words.

Very best,
Lois

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I just love road trips. Thanks for taking us on yours.

VP said...

Quite different buildings and view from what we see in countryside around here...

Cecilia Artista said...

Interesting pictures and information about the old barns and houses!

Rick Watson said...

Barns all around the south used to have "See Rock City" which is a tourist attraction in Tennessee (I think). Most of those ads have faded now and many of the barns are gone.

Michele said...

I'll be back to visit and see more :-) The pictures of the barns and the house are great......the house is spooky, yet so interesting! I wonder who lived there, what were they like and why did they leave?Your pictures remind me of traveling through Pennsylvania and Ohio to visit grandparents when I was a child. Lovely memories.

Bob Bushell said...

The poor old things, badly in need of a touching way. Lovely shots.

MyCretanlife said...

Most old barns in England have been done up into beautiful houses with lovely old beams and full of character.

Karen said...

Thanks for the ongoing tour Lois! I am enjoying your roadtrips!

Elaine said...

Great selection of old buildings. That old farmhouse is very spooky. You wouldn't think the curtains would last very long blowing in the wind.

Rose said...

That is a first for me, too, on the school with the quilt square! You sure captured a bunch of barns...you should join Tricia's Barn Charm meme with some of them...it opens on Monday evenings. Its the Bluff Area Daily blog...

Houses such as the one you show here always make us wonder what happened to the people who owned them. You know at one time that house was someone's pride and joy...

Reena said...

Oh, Lois, I love all those barn pictures! Such a fun adventure and glad you are sharing with us!

Christmas-etc... said...

What a fun journey through rural America. It's so poignant to see farmland's deserted or in this case houses that would have been grand once upon a time... sad really, because it tells of just one more person/family who doesn't know what goes into growing food... off to the supermarket we all go...! Myself included!:(
I really appreciate your journeys...both those on the land and on the sea!
Blessings!

Tanya said...

I like seeing your Ohio scenery. It makes me think that my daughter is probably seeing similar scenery every day. She's in Bowling Green.